Troubleshooting Basics

Is the transmitter plugged in and displaying a number?  The number should be greater than 8.

If the transmitter doesn't light up, is there power to the outlet?  

If no, check the GFCI and breaker

Are the boundary wires attached/plugged into the bottom of the transmitter

If it’s a rechargeable receiver, has it been charged?

If it’s a battery powered receiver, is there a fresh battery?  Batteries Plus and internet batteries can be inconsistent.

When checking for a beep in the receiver, be sure to hold it knee high over the wire.


Next Steps

If the transmitter is lit up and displaying a number, your wire and transmitter are good.

If the transmitter is beeping and flashing you have a wire break or have had a power surge.

A steady beep, beep, beep, beep indicates a wire break

A beepbeep, beepbeep, beepbeep indicates a power surge


If the transmitter is good, we need to check the receiver.

Check the case for cracks.  Chewing can case the sonic weld to crack.  Any cracks or damage can allow moisture to get in.

If it’s a battery powered unit make sure it’s a good battery.

The “-“ end goes in first, the “+” end is perfectly flat and goes against the screw in cap

Individual cells and batteries built at Batteries Plus and wrapped in plastic are unreliable.

The rechargeable receivers should show a small green light inside when charging.

Make sure the rechargeable receiver is fully seated in the charging stand

After a new battery or charging check the receiver for beep by holding it over the wire knee high

If you think the collar is not shocking, the only way to check it is to hold it over the wire while touching both prongs

You can also check the receiver by touching it to the transmitter case.  It’ll pick up just enough signal to activate the receiver.